Hardee County Sheriff's Office

900 East Summit St.
Wauchula, FL 33873
Phone (863) 773-0304
Fax     (863) 773-4593

Victim and Witness Rights
Additional Resources

Frequently Asked Questions


Question: If I Want to report something, is 9-1-1 the only number to call?
  • Answer: FOR ANYTHING RELATING TO A CRIME THAT IS OCCURRING NOW OR ANY OTHER EMERGENCY, CALL 9-1-1.  If in doubt, be safe and call 9-1-1.  For NON-EMERGENCY reports, suspicious activity, or requests, call the non-emergency number for the Hardee County Sheriff's Office, 863-773-4144.

  Question: Can I make a police report any time of the day, or do I need to make an appointment?

  • Answer: The Sheriff's Office will respond 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to any request for police assistance.  We always have deputies on the road.   We will send somebody to your house or business when you call.

  Question: Should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?

  • Answer: Yes.  The Sheriff's Office depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity.  The receiving officer who takes your call will ask questions about the activity to determine its nature.  The officer also will ask for descriptions of the people involved.  You will be asked for your name and address, but you may decline to give this information and a deputy will still respond.

  Question: What are my rights as a victim of crime?

  • Answer: Please click here for a complete explanation of your rights as victim or witness of crime.

  Question: I have a problem with speeders in our neighborhood.  What can I do about it?

  • Answer: Call the Sheriff's Office at 863-773-4144, and request increased traffic patrol in your area.  If the speeding occurs at a specific time each day this information will be helpful as well as a description of the suspect vehicle(s).

  Question: Why do the Sheriff's Communications Officers ask so many questions when I call?

  • Answer: The Communications Officers are trained to get as much information as possible to determine the nature of the problem and its seriousness.   On emergency calls, the Communications Officer will try to provide the appropriate personnel, whether it is law enforcement, EMS, fire or all at the same time the information relating to the call while continuing to ask additional questions.

  Question: How can I get a copy of a incident report?

  • Answer: You must wait 3 working days for a incident report to become available.  Then call the records section with the case number.  If you do not have the case number, you will need the location of the incident, date and any victim or suspect information.  There is a fee for these copies.  The Sheriff's Office Record's Section can be reached at 863-773-0304 xt.229 or email kpfeiffer@hardeeso.com.

  Question: What are my rights as Landlord or Tenant in Florida?

  • Answer: Please click here to learn your rights as a Landlord or Tenant.

  Question: Why did it take longer for a Deputy to answer my call this time than on previous calls for assistance?

  • Answer: All requests for police service are prioritized based on the seriousness of the incident and the potential for injury or damage to property.  At times, calls of a less urgent nature must be delayed so that deputies can respond immediately to emergencies.

  Question:  Someone has abandoned a junk car in my parking lot or on my property.  Can the Sheriff's Office tow it away for me?

  • Answer:  The police can only tow vehicles abandoned on public property.  If it is on public property, the vehicle may be towed by a wrecker at no cost to you.  If it is on private property, the property owner must arrange with a wrecker service for the vehicle's removal.  You should know that state law has certain restrictions the property owner must follow in these cases.  In some instances it may be appropriate to contact an attorney for advice. 

  Question:  Can a Deputy open my car if I have locked my keys inside?

  • Answer:  The service was discontinued due to the increased liability and workload on Sheriff's Office staff. As locking systems become more complex updated tools are required and there is the potential of damaging sensitive electronics or wiring. The Hardee County Sheriff's Office will attempt to unlock a locked vehicle in the event of a life threatening emergency.

    A few suggested precautions citizens can take to be prepared in the event keys are lost or locked in a vehicle:
        1. Keep spare keys in your purse or wallet.
        2. Have spare keys at your home or office.
        3. Hide a spare key on your vehicle.
        4. Store phone numbers in your cell phone such as Roadside Assistance Clubs, Locksmiths, Tow Services, Dealerships or Auto Repair Shops.

  Question:  Are there auctions to dispose of impounded vehicles or patrol cars?

  • Answer:  We auction off our older patrol vehicles and other vehicles generally on a yearly basis.  The auction location name and location is: Tampa Machinery Auction, US Highway 301 North, Tampa, FL